We finished 'Glee'. We're still not too hot on aspects of the storyline but we found many of the musical numbers enjoyable. At the moment I can't get 'Don't Rain on My Parade' out of my head. it's to the point that we're watching 'Funny Girl' right now. I think the last time I watched it I was in college - but the songs, I'v loved many of them since I was a kid.
Since I'm on the Streisand kick, I got on youtube last night and pulled up everything from appearances on Judy Garland's show to a special that included Barry Gibb (I love 'Guilty'). That led to some Frank Sinatra and then some Liza Minelli, Judy Garland and Gene Kelly followed by Julie Andrews and ultimately Michael Crawford (Happy Belated 68th for January 19th). Since I adore 'Phantom' I started watching clips on how the stage production was put together, old tv segments on the show and a couple of concert clips. I also listened again to the new song and music from the sequel that's coming out this year (It's good, even though I'm not sure about the concept). It was quite an enjoyable night and I love youtube for letting me enjoy the experience!
All of this music love has us thinking about what we hope to see if we manage to get to London this year. In recent years we have seen an old favorite along with a new show. We haven't been to 'Phantom' since 2004 (the trip where we saw 7 shows in 10 days... heaven!!!) so it might be on the list. As for others, there's still 'Dirty Dancing' and 'Billy Elliot' from last year's list (we chose 'Jersey Boy's last September). 'Love Never Dies' is also on the list. We're looking at 'We Will Rock You', 'Grease', and 'Hairspray' but they're not a priority. Of course, this all depends on how long we'll be in London...
10 comments:
I haven't been to a musical in ages! Thanks for the reminder of how much fun they can be. I will now be torturing my household with youtube videos and off-tune sing-a-longs. And your friend is right-- American chocolate just can't stand up to British. Thanks for stopping by my corner of the internet. :) Best wishes! ICLW
Glee is a lot of fun. I'm probably going to pick up the seasons on DVD as they come out just so I can get the backstory.
ICLW
Just got to read around your blog and we have a lot in common. In my high school teaching life I taught English and drama and directed a high school play every year. Mostly dramas but a few musicals.
I usually opt for the drama when I have the choice but I do love theater no matter what the genre and my greatest challenge was always working collaboratively with a team that always included a dance choreographer in my dramas. What's a play without music?
So good to take a look and I'll be back,
BOnnie
Hi, I'm so glad I found your blog, I am not musical at all, but we are the same age and so are our DHs! So i thought why not? i look forward to reading about your progresses, i wish you a speedy recovery. Love, Fran
ICLW #90
That sounds like an amazing trip! I'm totally jealous.
I haven't gotten into Glee though... don't know why...
ICLW
I didn't realize they were working on a sequel to Phantom. My grandma is a HUGE Michael Crawford fan and I can't even read his name without hearing her say it in my head in a swoony voice. Funny.
ICLW
Last time in London I spent most of our nights at the theatre. It was so fun. The only musical we got to was Wicked which I loved. I can't wait to hear what you end up seeing.
Oh - I luuurrrve musicals and also quite like Glee! My favourite is Les Miserable - haven't seen it for years but I got a CD when I saw it when I lived in London for awhile and I listen to that quite often.
I agree that the music on Glee is great, but the storyline just bugs me.
When we were in NYC this fall, we saw Wicked and In The Heights... I knew that Wicked would be awesome, but ITH was outstanding.
I love 'In The Heights'. It was like revisiting aspects of my childhood in Brooklyn when we used to visit my grandmother during the summer! I saw for my b-day weekend in 2008 along with 'Xanadu', 'Curtains' and 'Gypsy'. I was in heaven. Actually, I was also in heaven when we say 'A Chorus Line' in NY in Dec 07 as well.Ok, I'm in heaven when I get to go to the theatre.....
Post a Comment