26 January 2010

Getting organized... or should I say catching up

I had a good day at work yesterday. I finally got rid of a project that had been hanging over my head. It was only a draft (#3) so I'll get it back but at least I can clear other stuff while they review it. I also felt good about upcoming projects due to the agenda for a status meeting that will be held tomorrow. While 'career' hasn't been my focus for a while now, I will say that I am at least happy that interesting work is in the pipeline. Who knows, I might be comfortable to think along the lines of career at some point without feeling like I am missing out on some other aspect of my life while doing it (I keep thinking law degree/public policy degree for some reason when I think career lately).

As for the degree I am working on, I am in avoidance mode. I have not done a lick of work since surgery time and lately have been concentrating on catching up at work. I need to sit down with my editor and go over the necessary changes and I also will have to schedule a class in Phoenix to stay in the program. On one hand I feel like I'm on the path to ABD - I am not motivated to finish. On the other hand, I've done so much already and really don't want to have to do years of coursework again when I am in the mood for a doctorate in the future. I'm torn but I also a bit freaked about the time and stress it'll take to get back on track.... I haven't sorted myself out in this area yet.

My closets are a mess and I really need to do a good toss out. I am motivated in this area because there's a clothing drive here for Haiti scheduled for Feb 6 and I can get rid of a lot of stuff that I am not using without much guilt. In mental preparation, I've been trying to change my work clothing habit (wearing more tailored outfits) in order to get rid of some of the shirts and more casual items that are taking up room. It might help to motivate me in working out too in order to keep some of the smaller sizes... we'll see. I sorted out my underwear drawer (somewhat) in December and need to the same for the rest.

As for exercise, until I'm 100%, Aidan has agreed to do workouts with me on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (plus a walk on Sunday). Exercise initially will be modified for me and eventually will be more core work once March starts. I need to start working on the endurance now though because 1) it will help me to heal faster and 2) I need to be able to start dancing in March to be ready for exams in mid-April. I did go to Highland class last night and it was really good - I had energy until the end, was able to learn another exam step and didn't jump much. Wednesday's class should be easier. As for tonight's workout with Aidan - it's yoga!

Other than that, I'm already in a ready for spring state of mind. I want to be outside. I've spent so much of the last year inside for whatever reason that this year I want to enjoy the out-of-doors more. I told Aidan we need to get the kayak out in the Spring because since it was so hot to use it in the summer, we should get the most use out of it when the weather is warm. I think we also plan to walk all of the Railway trails this year for our Sunday walks - it is such a great way to see Bermuda!

1 comment:

Fertility Guy said...

Stopping by via ICLW. Thank you for visiting my blog. Funny what a small world it is - with your husband's family being from Ireland too. I grew up in Northern Ireland - about an hour west of Belfast.

ICLW