05 October 2010

Quite a bit of catching up...

First, let me start this update by saying that for the first time since we entered the second trimester, I had a great OB visit. My blood pressure was ok (for me), I had no protein in my urine (plus my kidney function was great), I gained on track (a little under but I didn't get lectured) and he actually said that I may be on track to deliver on Island!!!!! I was so overjoyed when I got into the car with Aidan. So we go back in 3 weeks - which means I should realistically make it to milestone 2 with some mileage towards milestone 3!!! I am so going to the spa on Oct 24th for a massage and facial!

Between this and the next visit, I have to start monitoring movement. I have a kick counter app for my iPhone so I may use that. The next visit will include the scheduling the GTT and CBC tests.
 
We had a crazy weekend with family that resulted in us looking back at the start of our TTC journey and a particular miscarriage that we tend to avoid thinking about. Both Aidan and I talked about the weekend experience at the support group last night and how we are now approaching our infertility experience and advocating for resources that we wished that we had used. It got everyone talking about how people cope and particularly how the guy feels. Aidan was actually asked whether he would be willing to lead a men's group since he articulates everything so well. He's not sure he's comfortable about that but he does see the benefits of such a group if formed. He said in the car that he was flattered by the suggestion but he wouldn't know what to do. He said that usually when he starts speaking in the group it is something that has entered his thoughts at that moment - and last night it was seeing what what happening in his family at the moment and wanting to help since he had been through it. He said he didn't realise that the events of the weekend had affected him so much until he started talking. He then said he couldn't imagine having to come up with something to discuss or keeping people on track or on time if he were in charge of a meeting. Now let's see how he deals with the LLL meeting on Saturday morning...

In more support group news, we had another 'surprise' last night. One of the members who had been through 5 IVFs, 3 IUIs, acupuncture, Chinese herbal teas and was about to do donor egg is expecting. She and her husband were on a break as they were mentally considering the donor egg step. She said she was ashamed to say that in her case 'relaxing' had helped - she had gone off of everything she had been doing, had taken a less stressful role at work and was even considering stopping all treatments all together when it happened. We were all bawling when she finished talking. Sadly, she and her husband are moving to the UK in December. We're going to miss her!

I've booked my maternity photo session. It'll be on Oct 28th in the evening and I've chosen to have the whole thing done in the studio - I'm not in the mood to do the beach or a park for this one. We're going to try to make it fun - we're going to bring along Aidan's plaid and some sequined tops and some of the wraps that I got over the years during our travels. I am hoping it'll be fun - and that I will be having a good hair day!

No comments: