13 August 2010

Possible Change of Plan... Again!

I am so sick of insurance companies! I called mine today because it included my updated schedule of coverage and I read that that would only cover 100% of high-risk services overseas if it is covered in the Canadian network. So I called to find out (i) whether my visit to Boston next Monday was covered 100% (because they approved the reason for me going to Boston) or 80% (since it was out of network) and (ii) why hadn't a case worker called me (they're supposed to call before I travel). I was not impressed to hear that they had no case opened for me because they had not received any paperwork - so where did my OB's office send my paperwork in June then!!!

It gets better! I can go to Boston for an 'assessment'. My OB's office needs to fax in the referral form on Monday and the case worker will call me on Aidan's cell while we're out there. They'll make the coverage determination as soon as they can (thank goodness). Now, if the doctor's assessment is that I need to deliver overseas, I will most likely have to go to Halifax, Nova Scotia! They may approve Boston if a strong case is made (i.e. I need to be there because of my kidney ailment, for example) at 80% but they said they would most likely request that I go to Nova Scotia and that will be covered 100%.

So needless to say, we are not amused! However, we are now more focused than ever to find out what it would take to ensure that we stay here and get through this pregnancy without complication. We're amending our questions to focus more on that since the overseas delivery questions are for another institution. Additionally, we need to explore further what would happen if we deliver in Bermuda and the baby has to be flown out (to Canada - I think it's Toronto in this case though).

So I am irritated but glad we found this out early. Lots of prayers are going to be made in the coming days and weeks because I really want to stay home...

4 comments:

Jessica White said...

Wow! That's ridiculous! Hopefully everything will be ok and you can stay home.

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said...

Insurance companies drive me crazy!! I am crossing my fingers that you will be able to stay home for the whole time!!

Photogrl said...

Insurance companies are the worst!

What a headache you don't need right now...

I've got everything crossed that it all works out and you can stay home!

Rotten said...

What a well travelled baby and he/she isn't even born yet. :)

So sorry you have to go through this crap. We had our own issues with our insurance while I was pregnant so I understand.