I am involved in coordinating an internship programme in IT for college students. It is a part of my job that I truly enjoy and I look forward to it. It is great seeing students grow and evelop over the summer and then to see them graduate and enter the workforce with a greater understanding of what they will be doing compared to their peers.
This year's interns started on Thursday and have thus far had quite a bit of soft skills training (customer service, networking, presentation skills). Yesterday, they had to start working on project plans for the team projects that they have to complete and on Monday they start with their respective employers for the summer. We pull them out of their employer's offices for a week each month for IT training and they also have to participate in 2 networking events each month.
As fun as this is, they're driving me nuts! I didn't realise how much I adore silence until I had to facilitate the 'project planning' yesterday and today. The questions, oh the questions... and most of them are silly questions!!! Yesterday I thought it was just me but when I swapped with the other coordinator at lunch time yesterday, she called me last night to say that they were driving her nuts too! I had to lay down the law this morning - they had to calm down and be more professional in their interactions. It helped a bit but a few of them are still over the top. Yeah, I was happy to hand them over this afternoon as well.... I get them back next Friday for presentations and their first exam - I hope they'll be much calmer by then!
1 comment:
We do internships at my job too. Luckily I just have to see them, not train them. YUCK!
Post a Comment