27 June 2010

The Circle of Life

It's been one hellish weekend. Instead of a slow relaxing Saturday that we had planned, an early morning call changed my life yet again. My godfather, who is my mom's cousin, had not reported to work. Since he has a heart condition, his co-worker was concerned and called the police to check to see if anything was wrong. My uncle was called since he owns the building and my parents were called since it was my mom's cousin. My mom is in Florida for my niece's dance recital so my dad called me to ask for me and Aidan to go with my uncle. I prayed all the way into the City that all would be well... but it wasn't. It appears my godfather had a heart attack and passed away. Thankfully, I didn't enter the apartment - I only saw his hand, I panicked and ran down the stairs. The police were so very helpful and between them and Aidan, I got through it. The police had to talk to my mom and my godfather's mom (she's in Las Vegas) via my cellphone because I really wasn't very helpful in providing information. When the funeral home came they sent me on a walk. Aidan helped sort everything out and then took me to our favorite restaurant to get me to eat some food.

I've been a zombie for most of the weekend. Both my godfathers are now gone. Both were very involved in my life. Both didn't have children so they treated me like their daughter. I feel so sad to not have either of them here anymore. I told Aidan that if we have a boy, I'd like to include both their first names as middle names in remembrance of two amazing men - he agreed. Now we just have to see if we can do so...

I've titled this post circle of life because in the midst of all of this sadness, we heard sproglet's heartbeat on the doppler for the first time this morning. Up until now, we just used the digital display to find the heartbeat. Hearing it was surreal. I bawled. It's amazing!

14 comments:

erika said...

I am so very sorry for you loss:(

***
Such an amazing exeperience to listen to your LO's heartbeat! awwww)))

Jess said...

{{{HUGS}}} I am so sorry that you lost your godfather. Praying for you and your family during this time.

Congrats on hearing the heartbeat of your little one! It is truly amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for you. It is hard enough to find out someone died, but to be the one that finds them is really hard, my condolences for you and your family, on your Godfathers death.
Gerardine

Krissi McVicker said...

I am so sorry to read this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am so happy though to hear that you heard the heartbeat. It really is amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog. (Stress Free Infertility)

..al said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

I am sure that it must hurt even more so, because you baby won't be able to meet those fantastic people in real life.

I hope you can cope well, and all the very very very best for your pregnancy....

Fran said...

Oh I'm so very sorry for your loss and for traumatic way you had to find out about it. Big hugs, Fran

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. And so sorry you were the one to find him.

Sharing the joy in hearing the little one's heart beat! I can't wait to find out what you're having so I can do some knitting!

xoxo

Gurlee said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

But, I AM so happy to hear you are doing well! Yay! Hope to hear a pregnancy update very soon.

Photogrl said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss...

Big, HUGE ((HUGS)) for you!

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss.

Glad you heard the heartbeat!

Rotten said...

So very sorry that you had to go through that and lose someone so special to you during such a joyous time in your life. Big hugs to you.

Jonelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your godfather's passing. I know the importance of a godfather, mine walked me down the aisle and gave me away at my wedding.

Glad you got to hear the heartbeat.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Best wishes for you and your family.

JJ said...

Sweetie, I am so sorry I am late in offering my condolences. Holding you in my thoughts