SATC has been a favorite of mine. I think it's because it's the out of control life in NY that I could have had if I had moved there for college like I had originally planned... no, I do not think that I would have ever lived life like that, even if I lived in NY. I just liked the escapism of it all. I could not imagine having a life even a fraction like any of the characters. I think I would have had a nervous breakdown in my 20s - and I wouldn't even want to think about what my mental state would have been in my 30s.
I am looking forward to tonight because the premier that I am going to is supporting a local Autism early intervention centre. I think it is great to take a much anticipated movie and raise money for an important cause. I've be attending a pre-show cocktail party at a designer shoe store and then it'll be off to the movie. And yes, I'm going with 3 friends so even if the movie isn't that great, at least we'll have fun!
UPDATE!!!
I had good fun tonight. I was a bit late to the cocktail party (ok, I was almost an hour late but it was tough getting out of the office). I didn't manage to change out of my work clothes but I did have on my Dune shoes that I purchased at Covent Garden in 2008 (I love them!). The cocktail party was pretty cool - cocktails in mod glasses sushi, raffle tickets for fabulous prizes (the draw is on my b-day - June 21), and lots of beautiful shoes to drool over. I met up with my friends and soon we were walking up the street to the theatre - about 60 or 70 ladies, dressed to the nines, all hiking up the hill to see a movie. It was kind of embarrassing but also sort of fun.
The theatre was decked out in pink and black balloons, men wearing black vests delivering popcorn to the ladies who purchased 'popcorn raffle tickets' (inside your bag could be cool prize like a spa day or a limited edition SATC bottle of vodka, etc) and the reps from the charity wearing black vests with hot pink tutus. The theatre was packed and I was so happy that it meant that the charity would receive quite a bit of funding from the evening.
The movie was ok - not as good as the first movie IMO but that was to be expected. Some things weren't funny to me but I probably looked at it a bit differently due to the energy in the room. Yes, ladies were talking to the screen at times and reacting to what was going on. I can guarantee that when I see it on DVD, I will probably have yet another perception of it. While I won't discuss the movie since so many may still be going to see it in the coming weeks, I will say that it reminded me that life goes on - and the characters have moved on. I read a review before the movie that was somewhat critical of that fact but, upon seeing the movie, I do not believe that it could have been done in the same way as the tv series. In my final analysis, the characters have matured and so have I.
In any case, I had good fun tonight and I am glad that I got to share the experience with friends. It was great to laugh at things together, wolf down popcorn and teeter down the street in high heels.
1 comment:
Sounds like a lot of fun!!
Post a Comment