As a follow-up to the last paragraph of yesterday's post, when I told Aidan that our doctor had left the clinic, we had a long discussion about the three options that I mentioned. We agreed that we really liked our doctor and we really liked the clinic. We also discussed why he is said to have left - the clinic getting too large, scheduling issues, loss of that personal touch. From our perspective we did not feel this way other than our waits for the first two visits (better than waits we've had elsewhere though...). Others who have cycled there in 2007 and 2008 said that it is much busier than the past. We therefore aren't fussed about having another doctor assigned but thought it would be ok to take the opportunity to consider other options.
First I looked to see if our doctor had joined another clinic elsewhere. It's early days and his name has not shown up anywhere yet. So, I then moved on to looking at clinics in Prague and Brno because they are easy to travel to. There are a few options where people have cycled and have made good comments. We both wouldn't have trouble securing acupuncture services but both are cities and Prague is very touristy (we both preferred the homey feel of Zlin). So while an option, I do not know if we would seriously pursue something like that.
I then looked at Boston and the cost to cycle with the doctor doing my fibroid removal (she's an RE with quite a few papers under her belt). We discussed our desire to pay for a multi-cycle package (and whether we can afford it), the cost of medications, the need to fly back and forth and the related stress. It would be doable but finding the money to purchase a package would be somewhat difficult.
We then looked to see where people in the UK go after they are not covered under NHS anymore (or if they don't want to wait for an appointment) and found a place in Norway. Aidan was interested in exploring this option because he loves Norway (he's been there twice) and has wanted to take me there for years. This option looks promising. It requires a consult visit and meds are purchased in the UK but then you begin the cycle at home and report on 10 days in. This is the option we were hoping for previously because it means we only have to be there for 7-10 days. In addition to providing past records and info on previous cycles, they do a full fertility work-up on both partners during the consult and will create an individualized protocol that meets the couple's needs. They are a small clinic, do about 400 cycles a year and I have found a board where people actively discuss the location. We agreed to compile a file on this option and then do an in depth comparison after I am done with the fibroid surgery. It's an exciting option and would take us on another 'vacation'!
3 comments:
The new option sounds wonderful! I hope you are able to get some good information on it soon.
The clinic in Norway have already sent us information to review. It looks like it will be a location that we'll seriously consider! We may even be open to cycling earlier due to the shorter time away - just a thought, mind you.
I left you a present on my blog.
Post a Comment