I caught the ferry in to work today because I had an early meeting. I don't catch the ferry often because we usually need the car during the day and I like talking with Aidan on the ride in. Therefore, when I do catch the ferry I do things like read, organize my calendar, etc. Today I read a book - and in the midst of reading I got to thinking about whether life will 'get back to normal' during this 9 month TTC break.
I've thought more about what is 'normal' since the ride this morning. I know that I haven't felt all that normal recently, but was I (or were we) normal before we started trying to expand our family. I think back to our non-ttc days and we just seemed busy. It was actually at that point where some of our traditions (weekly lunches, weekly dinner out) fell off of the schedule. I think further back to dating times and the focus was on getting married, getting a house, getting settled, etc. So perhaps we need to create normal from scratch from all of the lovely elements that we miss from getting too stressed from life in general.
A friend of mine said recently that she loves when Aidan and I open our house to friends for parties because they get a glimpse of the kind of homelife that she'd like. The comment made me smile but I also realize that the snapshot that friends get is so limited a view of what our homelife is really like. That snapshot does show me aspects of what is 'normal' for us though. We're a great team and work very well together. We work as partners and use our skills accordingly. We like to make things fun. We like to learn and share new things. Perhaps those are other elements we integrate into this 'getting back to normal' endeavor. I don't think we've lost this attributes so it's more of a matter of reinforcing them for use in stressful times.
So back to normal starts tonight as we're off to the theatre to enjoy 'Oliver'. Publish Post
1 comment:
I think creating a new 'normal' sounds like a wonderful idea. We are also going through a much different reinvention of who 'we' are and it's fascinating but hard work for sure!
Post a Comment