09 October 2009

Not for the Fainthearted

I have received confirmation that surgery is scheduled for Dec 9th and that I need to arrive at the hospital for 9am on Dec 8th for the pre-op appointment. We can now book our flights and the International office will arrange to pick us up from the airport and take us to our hotel. It's nice to have this arranges but it is also somewhat surreal to have this move so quickly after a year and a bit of nothing happening.

I also received a link to watch the type of surgery that I will have. They wanted me to see the versatility of the robotic arms in the surgery. At first I didn't want to watch it but I decided that I did want to know what would happen - the same way that I surfed youtube for IVF videos before we went through that process. If you're interested you can see the video here. Believe me, it is not for the fainthearted. Still, after seeing my 'gut full of rocks' last Friday, it's kind of comforting to see how they get them out. The sewing part makes my skin crawl though.

I've also been visiting a very useful blog where many people have shared their fibroid removal experiences. I've been focusing on the post-op section and it is good to get information on those first few days and weeks post surgery. It looks like gas will be the toughest part of recovery in the first few days - I really need to look into getting some gas-x because I am gassy even without having my tummy blown up with CO2.

2 comments:

Rotten said...

I'll be thinking about you that week. I am sure it is a little scary... well, a lot scary. I have a fibroid too, but it is not removable and it caused complications with my pregnancy and should I get lucky again, will cause complications with the next one. **SIGH** I hope things go well for you and your recovery is short and easy. :)

Anonymous said...

I had 3 fibroids removed (250g worth) by a laparoscopic myomectomy 3.5 years ago. Don't worry about the gas. It's no big deal. It will just absorb into your system. It's different than intestinal gas!

I was really scared going into my surgery, but I recovered quickly. It was the best decision I made to get my fibroids taken out! Good luck!