07 July 2010

So many thoughts in my head

It has been a busy week. Monday was my Godfather's funeral. It was lovely and in the end I was asked to read a poem. It basically enabled me to 'come out' since it was tough to hide my expansion adequately in a non-air conditioned church. Anyhow, it was a beautiful service and I cried twice; once when we sang 'Blessed Assurance' (I could hear my Great-Grandmother singing it in my head and I miss her so very much) and the second when they were lowering him into the grave while Aidan played 'Amazing Grace' on the bagpipes. It was great to see family and friends but I don't like that it only seems to happen at funerals.... there hasn't been a wedding since mine so that isn't even a factor.

As for the whole concept of telling people, I did have a few people say on a board that I belong to that the PC ideal of waiting for the 2nd tri to tell people isn't that big a deal since things can go wrong at any time. That statement made me think because our choice not to tell anyone outside of immediate family and those who knew our IF battles was the furthest thing from PC. Sure, the 2nd tri is a major milestone for us - but we have so many more ahead of us and I don't believe that we're truly living in the joy of the moment because we know those future milestones are so critical. That said, we also wanted to savour this wonderful event by ourselves for a while. No one IRL really knows our IF struggles so this pg to them is just like any other. For us, however, I see my husband smile, and I mean really smile, for the first time in so long when we go to a scan and I am so happy that for these last few weeks that we've been able to share it without outside commentary.

With that, life keeps moving. We found a second hand glider and ottoman and I tried to wash the cushions last night in the washer. After almost flooding the floor twice, I soaked them in the bathtub overnight and they're out in the yard drying right now. I may try the upholstery cleaner this weekend and scotchguard everything at that time. Our list of needs is finalised and in the coming weeks we'll have to figure out how to deal with the transition of the guest room into nursery. The closet has been reconfigured so now we need to plan for what we need to do for the rest of the room (plus I want to add a 5-drawer dresser in there)

2 comments:

Jessica White said...

Funerals are tough, but I'm glad that it was such a nice one..amazing grace always does me in.

AS for telling, enjoy the time...I don't think there's any set time to tell by. Obviously if people are important to you they'll be told.

Can't wait to see nursery pictures!

Rotten said...

It's tough to know when to tell people. It is such a personal decision between a couple and I think you do it when you are ready... or when you have no option and people wonder if you are eating too much or actually growing something in that belly. :) For us, we have decided that we will tell everyone immediately if we are fortunate enough to get pregnant again. With our history I enjoy the support when things go wrong with us but I have done it both ways and that is just my choice.