26 July 2010

Christmas in July

When I used to spend summers in NY as a child I used to look forward to Christmas in July. July 25th - a day where I could watch Christmas cartoons and movies, listen to Christmas songs and see the great toys that 'might be popular' in December. I used to pour over the New York papers and cut out the ads for the toys that I liked and share them with my grandmother. She would usually do her magic behind the scenes because one or two items would end up under the tree on December 25th. Even though my grandparents rarely made it to Bermuda for Christmas, their presence was definitely felt.

Anyhow, yesterday was Christmas in July day and I enjoyed it somewhat. No newspapers to pour over but there was QVC and some online catalogs to give me ideas on what to get for my 3 nieces. I also spent some time on Cartoon Network for a few Christmas cartoons. All was well until I began wondering what this Christmas would be like. Would we even be in Bermuda? Will we have any family with us if we are in the US? If I haven't delivered by then, will we have any decorations? stockings? cassava pie with our turkey dinner? I was down for a little bit because I love our family Christmases (and Easters). I soon got over it as I thought that we'd be awaiting the best present ever and our families will be with us in spirit (and who knows who might come to visit). We'd still find a place for midnight Mass (hopefully we could go) and at least we'll be there together. And I love Boston at Christmas time - actually, I love most places I've visited during that time of year. So we'll have a great Christmas 2010, no matter how it presents itself!

4 comments:

Joyful Hope said...

Hello from ICLW! So I had no idea that Christmas in July was a "thing." I thought it was hilarious that QVC was doing a Christmas in July yesterday. I watched it because I was so fascinated with the fact that it was 100 degrees out and they were selling Christmas lights. I didn't associate that it was the 25th and 5 months away from Christmas. I guess I need to pay better attention...

Kir said...

you sure will, I was still on bedrest the christmas before the boys were born, but I went to my moms and midnight mass....I wanted to Celebrate. :)

I know that no matter where you are, the present you are awaiting will make it more than memorable. :)

Anonymous said...

No matter the location, your Christmas will be awesome!

christine said...

Oh, I love Christmas!! Celebrating with family is the best! Hope you were able to enjoy your Christmas in july to the fullest.

ICLW #27