I decided to do an 'A-Z' this month for my introduction but didn't realise how long it would take. Here it is:
A – Artemis, our crazy white cat. She is the queen of the household and has our dogs firmly under her control. Also, Aidan, my husband.
B – Bermuda, the Island where we were both born and live. Also, Bronwyn, our tri-colour cavalier king charles spaniel.
C – Czech Republic, the country where we did our first IVF cycle in Aug/Sept 2009.
D – Dancing, I’ve been dancing since I was 4. I currently teach highland dancing and in April will start teaching bellydancing again.
E – Exercise, I’m currently doing Chalene Extreme along with a little running, yoga and dancing to try to get back in shape after 3 months of not being able to do so post-surgery.
F – Fibroids, I had 10 of them taken out in December 2009 via a robotic laparoscopic myomectomy.
G – Giving, I do a lot of volunteer work and believe that social responsibility is a priority.
H – Hycanith, The first flower to bloom in my garden in 2010. I hope the rest of my garden blooms soon. Also, Hungary, the place where we may do IVF #2.
I – Intern programs, have become my specialty over the years. I now coordinate a technology focused programme during the summer.
J – Jewelry, yes, I like it… and I love to receive it :)
K – Kilt, I get to wear one often thanks to the highland dancing. Aidan is a piper so he wears one too. He looks better in his than I do in mine…
L – Leadership, I’ve been working on a doctorate in organizational leadership since 2004. I’m currently ABD (all but dissertation) and I am trying to motivate myself to finish….
M – Matthias, our level-headed black cat. Also, Marisa, my name!
N – Nutrition, We’ve been working on our nutrition for a year and unfortunately back-slid after my surgery. We’re trying to get back into it again…
O - 'One', my favorite song from ‘A Chorus Line’. It was our final dance of the night at out wedding reception (complete with top hats and canes).
P – Ptolemy, our ruby cavalier king charles spaniel. He thinks he’s a cat. Also, Pipe Band, the entity that sucks up a lot of our time.
Q – Quiz Night, most Tuesdays. We like using all of the nonsense that we have crammed into our brains!
R – Relationship, I’d have to say that this journey has made Aidan and I work harder together to keep the lines of communication open.
S – 'Singing In the Rain’, my favorite movie and the origin of my love of Gene Kelly and tap dancing.
T – ‘Tea for Two’, my first singing/tap dancing performance when I was 6 years old. The second was ‘Getting to Know You’ from ‘The King and I’. My dad coached me at home for both and my love of musical theatre grew exponentially from there…
U – Undo, I’d love to undo the last 3 years to just have doe more research before starting this IF journey. In a way, we’ve wasted so much time through just not knowing.
V – Vexillology, Aidan spends a lot of time doing this…. It’s the study of flags!
W – Water, part of the reason I love living in Bermuda – even if I don’t go swimming much (I hate the sand!)
X – X-ray, I have a hysterosalpingogram scheduled for March 31st
Y – Yoga, I’m trying to add this back into my daily routine… need to relax a bit more…
Z – Zodiac, I was born on the cusp of Gemini & Cancer. Aidan is a Libra.
24 comments:
Great list. Think I'll relink mine up for ICLW.
Yay!!! for dancing. That's one of my favorite passtimes as well. It's also a lifesaver these days since it's the best activity for me to relax and forget about everything else.
Wat is highland dance? is it kind of a folk dance? sorry if my Q is dumb;)
FX for your HSG!!!
Your introduction was fun to read! great idea.
I've always been curious about overseas IVF. How did all of that go for you? Was it a hassle? Did you have to stay very long?
Thank you for the comment. Happy ICLW!
Hi Erika - Highland dancing is a scottish form of dance that is done in a kilt. It includes the sword dance and the highland fling and a few other dances. We also do national dances that are done in a white dress with a plaid over the shoulder. They're lots of fun!
Hello Myndi - We enjoyed the overseas experience - it was not as relaxing as a total vacation but good to be outside of our regular routine. Since we can't do IVF at home, we have no choice but to travel and so we chose to go to a place that we wanted to see more of and had good reviews. We spent 3 weeks in CZ for straight IVF with my eggs. We'll be in Budapest for 2 weeks if we do IVF #2 in September. The difference is that I'll start stimming at home for the first 5 days.
Wow, that's a bit of a pain that you have to travel to do your IVF cycles. Hopefully you'll only have to make one more trip for that!
Nice to get to know you! Good luck with your next IVF. Bermuda! That's awesome! Happy ICLW! Thanks for stopping by my blog! (Stress Free Infertility)
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your ABCs of Me intro post. I think learning all these little factoids about people are great fun.
10 fibroids is a LOT to have removed. Hopefully that will make a huge difference with your baby making efforts.
What a great list and great introduction. Looking forward to reading more of your blog. :)
ICLW #28
Wow! What a talented woman! It's incredible that you have time for all of that. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, too!
What do you wish you knew those three years ago?
Hi Ernie - thanks. In a way it's ok since it takes me outside of my day-to-day routine and I don't have to do it while going to work. Finding the time to schedule it is a PITA though...
Hi Kristin - Yeah, 10 was a lot, particularly since everyone told me that I only had one and to not worry about it until the MRI. That's when the one became 5-7 and then during the surgery it became 10. Hope it has made a difference!
Hi Justine - The fibroid removal would have been high on the list of getting it dealt with early. I wasted a year due to that. The other would be being proactive with the urologist. Again, another 6 months was wasted there.
I giggled at P for Ptolemy - one of my cats thinks he's a dog ;)
Happy ICLW!
Waving at you, daega99!
I love your ABCs, and you have kept absolutely beautiful names for your pets.
I too wish that I had known better, and I could undo the past few years.
Every single new step has come from the failure of every previous step....
Great list!! I forgot to put mine upfront for ICLW! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment. :) Happy ICLW!
Great intro. I'm following you. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope your procedure at the end of the month goes well. ICLW!
Thanks for visiting my blog! It was interesting to read your ABC's. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for your post on my blog!! I can relate about the toning as well. I am losing some tone as I have not been running. :( maybe getting back into yoga will help both of us!!! I liked your intro, maybe I will try something like it soon! :)
ICLW
A great intro! I love these A-B-C ones! :)
I'm definitely also interested to hear about the overseas IVF. We're in a situation where, if we end up needing it, we're going to most likely have to travel anyway (not just for expense) because we're in the middle of nowhere and our semi-local RE's office doesn't have a great record -- mostly because they just don't run that many each year. I'm nervous about the idea of it, but also intrigued!
I love this list-- what fun! I love Quiz Night too, and am now hoping "What is the study of flags called?" comes up as a bonus question. :) Best wishes! ICLW
ICLW-
Great idea! I think I will try this too!
Thanks for stopping by-
Jess
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I loved reading your list! Fun! We went to Bermuda for our Honeymoon and it was amazing I'm jealous that you get to experience that on a daily basis. We're thinking about heading there again this September. And who doesn't love "Singing in the Rain"? What a fantastic film.
What a great intro - but if it takes that long I had better start working on mine now for next month.
I have to admit that I fell in love with Brigadoon long before Singin'. :-)
'Singing in the Rain' was my first - I didn't see 'Brigadoon' until I was a little older. Now that I do highland dancing and know more about bagpipes, there are scenes in 'Brigadoon' that I pull apart. 'An American In Paris' has been more of a favorite lately.
This was a cute idea...maybe I'll borrow it next month to kick off ICLW.
Thanks for visiting me!
ICLW
Melissa
Post a Comment