16 March 2010

DST

I personally love daylight saving time (DST). I don't really like 'falling back' because it is literally a waste of time. I have a pretty constant pattern - I wake up at 5.30am in the fall/winter (I then go back to sleep - which is a joke) and at 6.30 in the spring/summer. That said, the first few days of shifing time makes me a monster... I wasn't fit to have a conversation with anyone this morning until after 8am, and I wasn't nice until about 10am.

So last night after Chalean Extreme workout #4, I did a 10 minute relaxation yoga practice. I did it because at the infertility support group that night we discussed trying to be whole during this stressful situation and taking the time when you're not cycling to center yourself in some way. I thought about how I had used yoga and meditation in the past to get through stressful times and wondered why I did not take the time last year to get back into both (outside of obviously branded 'fertility' yoga and meditations that were good but had a lot of fertility language in it). So I pulled out a Rodney Yee DVD and rolled out the mat. It was like visiting an old friend. I love his voice! The relaxation practice was difficult (my flexibility sucks) but nice. I was calmer afterwards. I intended to fo the morning practice but DST got me... perhaps it'll happen in a week or so when I am used to it.

DST has also affected dog walking. The morning walks are now evening walks - but we're not home before dark most nights. Yeah, a little irritating. So Aidan actually ran around the house with the dogs chasing him to tire them out last night (it worked for all three of them). I know the mornings will get more light in the coming weeks but it is a PITA since I like walking in the morning (yeah, the dogs like it too).

Now that DST is back, I want to be in my garden. I ordered some seeds last week and I plan to go to the plant nursery on Saturday and spend the afternoon in the garden. But it's still pretty cool. Even with the sun out I still need a jacket - which I don't find conducive to gardening. But at least I will be able to get into the garden (I hope). It's like every weekend is rainy recently. I hope that this weekend bucks the trend and kicks off a lovely spring.

And finally (in this DST tribute), I mistakenly started our St. Patrick's Day dinner a day early (see para. 1 for the reason why). Yeah, I got up this morning and put everything in the crockpot and Aidan came down and asked why I was making the dinner a day early.... I was not amused.... Anyhow, our dinner will definitely be ready after pipe band/highland dancing rehearsals tomorrow night. And since Aidan is a passport carrying Irishman (and a passport carrying Bermudian and Englishman), we'll celebrate a tiny bit of his heritage, probably talk about the possibility of Ireland in September and visiting his cousins and willing the luck of the Irish upon us!

5 comments:

Fran said...

Will you visit me too in September?? I'd love to!!

daega99 said...

That would be wonderful! What part of Ireland are you in? Aidan's cousins live in Wicklow (somewhat near Blessington) so we tend to spend time there. I'm hoping that this trip will get us further south and west though...

The Hopeful Elephant said...

I want to go too! Take me along?

Happy ICLW!!!

Anonymous said...

OoOo Ireland I'm jealous! I'm off to England later this year and hoping to do a quick side trip to the Emerald Isle while there, so close be silly not to!

ICLW
#101
http://thegalwho.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

I don't like changing the time in Spring. I prefer it in autumn. At the moment, I'm the monster and I need lots of cardio to make me unmonsterize myself.