05 March 2010

1st Performance since surgery

All I can say is "oh well". We had a small performance at a local school scheduled for today and since the kids who go to the school didn't want to dance, I got pulled in with the other teacher. We decided to do the sword dance which is usually fun for kids to watch. We also decided to do a more challenging middle step for the challenge of it all. We practiced the difficult step, went in to perform and I got through the first and 2nd challenging step with out a problem. Then my mind went blank and I couldn't remember the last step at all. I tried a few times to figure it out but had no luck.

I didn't think anything of it. Sure, it was embarrassing but that's dancing - sometimes you lose it and can't catch up. Unfortunately, the Pipe Major then made a joke that I needed to practice more. I got pissed, walked out on stage and said it doesn't help that I've been sick for the last 3 months. I was pretty pissed but then I just said 'whatever' to myself and started to think about the rest of my day. The other band members were still pretty mad though about the comment, particularly since everyone knew that I've had surgery and haven't been allowed to dance (and I officially still can't until next week...). I told them don't worry about it, it's no big deal.

So anyhow, I've figured out the step that I forgot and I also need to figure out a way to keep all of these new steps and old steps organized in my head... preparation for these exams are killing me mentally!

2 comments:

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Whenever I watch dance competitions I always think "how do they remember all those steps." Hope you get a mental break soon! : )

AnxiousMummyto3 said...

Don't worry about it, just go easy on yourself, sweetie. You have been through so much already. You were just trying your best :)