02 March 2010

Hungary?

This whole IVF back up plan has been irritating me since the fire. I feel guilty putting money aside for IVF when we need to renovate the apartment. I don't feel so bad about our vacation account (it's been a bill in my budget for years...) but the extra I should be putting towards paint and tile and contractors.

We're currently considering an option in Hungary. The coordinating office is in London since most of the clients are British. They've gotten back to us with information already. Initial number crunching make it cheaper than even CZ (primarily because it is a week less) but more coordination services (the coordinator is at your service 24/7, picks you up from the airport, will run errands, plan excursions, etc). Apparently, it's what separates them from other services. We're looking at a comparison of IVF with ICSI and drugs in Boston being about $3K more than 2 air fares (June consultation and drug purchase & September cycle), 2 hotel stays (with breakfast and internet), IVF with ICSI, drugs, coordinator (including airport transfers and clinic transfers), and local cell. The wonders of cycling internationally!

Boston is still doable -  as is Norway ($3K more than the Boston barebones but that would include all the air travel, car and hotel). With Boston the advantage is that the doctor knows my situation well and I know Boston well. The con is that I'm afraid that with flights, hotel, food, possible additional protocol needs and transportation, we'll end up spending way more than I'd like. That decimates our vacation account... BTW, the Norway benefit is that I've never been there :) but the con is that Norway is so expensive for food, car rental, hotel, etc.

Anyhow, Aidan wants to explore the Hungary option further so we'll go through their paperwork as the week progresses. I think if we put this to bed soon in light of our apartment renovation situation, we can then focus on getting the apartment done and Aidan's grandfather back in there asap.



UPDATE - We sent the information off today (March 3). Looks like our consultation will be in Hungary on June 17 or 18. I'll most likely then get to celebrate my b-day in London! Still, hoping it wont be necessary as I really want to go to Ireland.

3 comments:

kimbosue said...

Oh wow! More traveling cycle options. Good luck to you with that and the apartment renov.

addingtothepack said...

Wow, the opportunity to travel and have some fun with the cycle adds a whole other layer to the decision making process. Best of luck with it!

Photogrl said...

I hope you get to go to Ireland, too!

But, I'm glad you have a consult...Hungary sounds like it could work well!