At 3am this morning we got a phone call. Aidan's grandfather's house was on fire. We own the house and rent out the bottom to a tenant so we jumped out of bed, threw on the first things that we could find and drove down to the house. Smoke was bellowing from the apartment. The boyfriend of the girl who rents the apartment was being taken to the hospital (it appeared to be non-life threatening injuries) and Aidan's grandfather was sitting in the yard with Aidan's uncle. Thankfully, Aidan's cousins who live next door heard noise and thought there was a disturbance and called the police. They went over an saw flames and got Aidan's grandfather out of the house.
Once we had ascertained that everyone was ok, we basically spent 4 hours there as they put out the fire, began to assess the site and taped off the apartment area. Thankfully, the main house upstairs has been deemed ok thus far - Aidan will have it assessed structurally by his business partner and then we'll have it cleaned and I'm thinking we'll replace windows (two sustained damage but it might be worth it to replace the rest) and possibly the doors. We'll have to completely redo downstairs, including windows, doors, counters, etc. Aidan s trying to remain optimistic for his grandfather's sake. His grandfather's really shaken. But Aidan's pretty shaken as well and I'm just trying to support him in whatever way I can.
So there's going to be an inspection today at 2pm to try to ascertain the cause of the fire. In the meantime, Aidan, his mom and uncle will have to discuss where grandpa will be staying in the meantime. I'm praying that everything just goes smoothly and some normalcy is attained soon.
9 comments:
How awful! So sorry! Very relieved to hear that no one was seriously hurt!
Love,
Maddy
How awful! I'm so glad Aidan's grandfather was not injured. Fire is one thing that truly frightens me so I can only imagine how shaken everyone is about it. I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts your way.
((Hugs))
Holy cow!! that's a dreadful phone call to get in the middle of the night! Thankfully no one was seriously injured, but what a fright! I hope they'll find the cause of the fire so that it will not happen again. Much love, Fran
Oh goodness! That is so scary. We got a call like that once from Ike's cousin. Very frightening. So glad everyone is okay!
**hugs**
Oh my! I'm so glad that everyone is all right!
I am sorry to hear about the fire but at the same time glad to hear that Aidan's grandfather and the others are okay. My father had a house fire about 11 years ago. It is a terrible thing to have happen, but reminds you of the fact that our loved ones are most important.
Oh wow -- nothing good comes from 3am phone calls. I am glad that no one was injured!
I'm thankful to hear that everyone is okay...but how scary that must have been!
Sending prayers and ((HUGS)) for everyone!
How scary! Glad Grandpa is ok.
Post a Comment