11 December 2009

Recovery....

Yesterday was difficult. Not a lot of pain due to the drugs but I am so very sore and swollen. Aida has been a star, taking my temps, making sure I have my meds and making me rest. We ha dinner at the Cheesecake Factory last night because I had to have a steak for dinner (doctor's orders). I ate maybe 1/2 of it with some spinach. Unfortunately I was having an allergic reaction to something (we think the glycerin in my anti-bloating meds) and he itching was so bad that I ended up back in the room drinking lots of water and standing under the shower.

Going back to Wednesday, we left the hotel early due to the snow. It was very light and fluffy at that time so it wasn't much to worry about. We got to the hospital a little after 7.35 and went to admitting. Unlike home where admitting is in the emergency department, admitting at Brigham & Women's was like a hotel lobby with fashion drawings all over the wall. It moved quickly and in minutes I was called in for paperwork and then I was called to be taken to get ready for surgery. Walking through the hospital was a bit unnerving but I got into cubicle number 5, changed and got comfortable. My nurse was excellent as she went ovr everything and I was soon visited by the anesthesiologist, the surgery nurse and my doctor and her fellowship student. I also received a reiki session before they inserted the IV and took my glasses. Aidan was sent upstairs to the Family lounge and I was wheeled into the operating theatre. They made me really comfortable with hot air pillows, etc. Then the buzzing started in my head and I was out.

No dreams or anything, I just woke up in recovery 6 hours later. I felt pretty sore. Even with the meds the cramping on the right side was pretty bad. I was in recovery for 3.5 hours while they got the pain under control. Aidan was brought down at one point but I was still hurting so they said they'd call him when I was ready to go to my room. That was about 7.30-8pm. They had me in the women's part of the hospital in a private room. Aidan was able to stay in a fold out chair and they gave him blankets and pillows. I began working on meeting the requirements for release immediately. I went to the bathroom (#1) at about 8.30 and It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. I went for a walk around the floor around 9.30 and was eating crackers and soup by 10pm. The fellowship student came to visit and was so amazed at my progress.

The night was long. They had me up every hour for blood pressure, temperature and pulse checks. Plus I was up every 2 hours for #1. At 5am I turned on the tv and dozed off and on until 8.30. I then sent Aidan off to breakfast and ordered some for myself. The fellowship student and the nurse came in at that point and did my final exam, removing the tape from the incisions. They then went to do the discharge papers and I ate and eventually got dressed. We were out of there around 11am. Aidan had to go to the pharmacy for the drugs while I tried to get comfortable in bed. At about 3.30pm I went for a walk and then we did dinner at six. We tried to watch some tv - the first episode of season 2 of 'Life on Mars' but i was pretty drowsy. So I been getting up every 2 hours as before and Aidan has been making sure I get the pain meds every 4 hours.

I am hopeful that the worst is over. The gas is the worst part - It's tough to get it moving. I have to thank MIL for the full size brief recommendation. We purchased some at CVS and they make a world of difference over the incisions. My belly and bikini area look really weird - very swollen and droopy. Still the scars will be small and I will eventually get the bloating under control.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers. It has been a crazy roller coaster ride.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

That sounds so painful! I'm glad you are doing so well, wow! Good for you. Sounds like the hospital took good care of you, too - that's wonderful. :)

Photogrl said...

Ouch!

I'm glad to hear that Aiden is taking good care of you!

((HUGS))

JourneyGirl & JourneyMan said...

Wow, reiki at the hospital that is fabulous! I hope you are feeling better and recovering well!