I went this morning for the pelvic MRI. It's the second time I've had a MRI. The first was for my knee in 2007. I therefore had to fill out forms with my new insurance information. I didn't have much of a wait after doing that. They had me put on a set of blue hospital shorts over my underwear and strapped my pelvis onto the bed. It was freezing in the room (thanks Aidan for designing a really efficient AC system for them...) so they covered me with a blanket to keep me warm. They could not find BBC World Service on the radio so the headphones played easy listening from the 70s - today.
The examination took 1 hour and 30 minutes. The first hour was pretty simple. I zoned out on occasion but I did not go to sleep like I did with the knee MRI. I thought through a lot of stuff - work related, school, life. I thought a lot about my childhood for some reason. Perhaps it was me thinking of simpler days... in any case I thought about stuff I had forgotten about. The last 30 minutes required that I be injected with contrast dye. The needle wasn't bad but the dye was so cold. I felt it go through my hand and arm and soon I felt cold. It was an odd sensation (I didn't have to do the contrast dye for the knee so it was definitely a new experience). I could not relax when I went back into the machine - I was so tense. I did not move but I could feel that my thigh muscles were keeping my feet raised off of the bed. I don't know if it was the cold or fear or what.... it was odd.
When the procedure was completed I changed and had to wait for the disk. Yes, I tried to take a look but the computer here won't install the software. I may try to take a look at home tonight. So now I need to update Brigham & Womens with our arrival time on Thursday, our hotel and that we have the scans on CD. IN the meantime, I'm a tad itchy but it's not bad.
1 comment:
First step, completed.
Glad it wasn't too bad...I hope the itchiness has gone away.
Post a Comment