I don't think I've said much about the nutrifit programme that I signed up for. We decided to have a healthier diet leading up to our vacation in Aug. DH ended up not registering since there are no males in the class. The instructor knows what we'll be doing so the meals are developed for both of us. On Friday I was a bit peeved about my measurements and DH was irritated by the food (he doesn't like nuts, hummus, etc but it's on the menu..). Anyhow, having the menu is great because I don't have to think about it. I just buy the food and cook. I made turkey chili and creamy pasta with hummus on Saturday and DH actually liked it. Yesterday I had class and I got my analysis back. Thankfully we have good habits - wholegrains, lots of veg and water. Unfortunately, we have too much saturated fat in our diet - primarily due to the amount of milk we drink/ eat and the red meats and fried foods in our diet. DH can only have 2% milk with his cereal and has to have water or diluted fruit juice (I was stunned over the amount of sugar in juice). I cannot have dairy at all as it looks like I have an allergy. I was so sad... Anyhow, we're eating more than enough food. DH is getting used to smaller portions and seems fine with most of what I've given him ( he picked the raspberries out of the mixed berries I gave him with brekfast though and he hated the honey flax seed Kashi granola bar). Since the milk is the only major lifestyle change for us, I think we'll be fine eating this way for the next 3 months and beyond.
The juice thing really got to me. The nutritionist recommends only 10oz of diluted juice daily because of the sugar in the juice. Apparently one 8oz glass of juice has 14 teaspoons of sugar, which is one tablespoon less than if you drank a bottle of say Tradewinds Iced Tea. Also, did you know that a small yogurt has about 6 teaspoons of sugar. It's mad. She recommends that if you want yogurt, eat plain yogurt with fresh berries added. To figure out the number of teaspoons of sugar in a food item, look at the serving size and multiply the grams of sugar accordingly. Then divide that by 4 and you'll see the number of teaspoons (roughly). Looking at our diet from my food diary, we were getting a lot of sugar and didn't even realize it. Thankfully, DH agreed that was a huge problem. He even went on a 10K run on his own tonight since his milk and juice intake is worse than mine.
Anyhow, I survived my first dairy-free day. I wonder when the withdrawal will kick in. It was crazy at work and then I had a board meeting but I managed to have my meals and snacks and it kept my energy pretty level all day. I got home about 8.30 and did 30 minutes of Power 90 Sculpt 1-2, Ab Ripper 100 (hell!!!) and a Gaiam yoga practice for fatigue. I feel pretty good. I'm sad that I didn't get to run but DH didn't work out with me either so I think we're even. I was hoping to run tomorrow morning but we're leaving home early since the Pipe Band has been invited to take part in a German movie. I do have dance class though so I should be fine. I might also take a short run while DH is at practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment