04 May 2009

With the Urologist's Blessing

We finally got to see the urologist today. The SA was ok- count was up and motility was a bit better but still below normal. He still needs to be treated for his elevated prolactin level. In any case, we told the urologist about our decision to go to the Czech Republic and he thought it was a great idea. He gave us all of DH's records from the last year and we don't have to go back until September (primarily for the prolactin but if we're not successful in August we'll do a SA as well). We're now sending everything to the doctors and then need to set up consultations. I really want to make a clinic decision by next week.

21 April 2009

Sad to Be This Way

Yesterday we found out that a friend is due in August. Initial reaction was thankfully genuine - we were really happy for her and her husband. A few hours later though we were feeling pretty miserable. Yes, we bandied about a few 'why's. In the end, we felt pretty sad that we're in this cycle of feeling sorry for ourselves whenever someone we know falls pregnant. Thank God we should be paying a deposit for the IVF soon. It will be something to keep us focused.

12 April 2009

Happy Easter

I love Easter! I actually like Easter more than Christmas because it isn't as commercialized. Don't get me wrong, the commercialization of Easter is pretty bad but I am grateful that the true meaning of the season is obvious. We've taken it pretty easy over the long weekend - lots of reading, gardening and of course getting ready for Easter Sunday Mass. I purchased plants for my mom, MIL and SILs. I should have sent something to my brother - perhaps I'll order something online. For our niece, we got her some finger puppets. She really likes them.

Also on Good Friday we received messages from both clinics. The first now has enough info for us to have a conference call with the doctor. The other clinic wants a note from my nephrologist on my blood pressure and that he gives the ok for pregnancy. In both cases, we're ok for mid- August. I guess we'll get to start planning soon!

08 April 2009

They're willing to work with us

So while things are literally on hold here at home as we wait for DH's SA results from March, we have thankfully been hearing back from the two clinics in the Czech Republic. Now that they have our files (most of them anyway) from 2008, we have been told that we can do IVF with our own eggs and sperm using ICSI. Now we need to start talking about specifics. I am quite relieved because I honestly thought they would turn us down due to my PKD. In fact, it is looking like thay can't do the PGD for PKD. That didn't surprise me, I'm hardly seeing anything about PGD for PKD.

So tomorrow we're giving our local doctor all of our info so we can bring him into the loop. At some point we're going to have to decide where to go but at this moment, I'm just glad that we have options and can move forward in the near future (counting down from 4 months.....)

06 April 2009

Fed Up.....

So DH had his blood tests and SA last week so we thought the urologist would give him an appointment this or next week since he had specifically said not to make an appointment until the test was done. So guess when the appointment is scheduled..... MAY 4th! Can you believe that! A whole month to get test results!!!! This is crazy. I understand that this is the only urologist on the Island but just give him the results over the phone!. I just do not get it. So now I am really irritated. We're closing in on a year since the first urologist visit and the first RE visit and we've gotten nowhere.

On a proactive note, we now have contacted two clinics in the Czech Republic. One in Zlin and one in Olomouc. We've read a lot about both and have read up on them on message boards and initial contact has been good thus far. I hope that we'll start talking possibilities soon. I've been able to send our test results from last summer, including my HSG results and DH's MRI. We don't have DH's SAs from Dec (or the recent one, of course) so I hope it doesn't hold up our ability to consult with the doctor over the phone. i even managed to get my nephrologist file fro last April and October so I am really chomping at the bit to decide what's next. DH and I are leaning towards one more than the other because we can fly out for an examination, I would recieve the drug protocol (and purchase the drugs), DH can leave a smaple to freeze and then we don't have to be there until day 7 of stimming (I'd work with my doctor at home until we left). That way, we'd only be gone for 14 days in Aug/Sept vs. 21 days - which makes a difference when you work for yourself! Our fingers are crossed that all of this will be doable.

31 March 2009

More tests.....

We're entering testing time. DH went in to have his prolactin levels checked today and to drop off his sample. Next week I will have blood drawn for my nephrologist visit the week after. In the midst of this, we're getting back into our exercise (my knees hate it!).

I managed to get most of our records from my doctor last week so on friday I sent them off to a doctor in CZ. The doctor confirmed receipt and he's pulling together PGD info for PKD. DH's doctor wouldn't give him a copy of his files so he had to request that they be sent to the local doctor who agrees to help up with this process. I should be picking up a copy of my file from my nephrologist today. I hope then that we can do a telephone consult.

DH is open to flying over there for an appointment and to have the drugs prescribed if it then allows us to only have to be there for a week or two in Aug/September. I will admit that it is attractive. I really would like to have some vacation time in December.....

27 March 2009

Haven't Been Here For A While...

All I can say is that I have been so busy! This past month I've had major projects at work, I'm trying to edit my dissertation proposal for resubmission and I even managed to get sick. My fitness regimine had to take a backseat for a while so now i have to make up lost ground as well! Thank God Good Friday is a few weeks away so I can have a paid day off!

Anyhow, DH and I have been researching other IVF options in Europe to see what is out there. We met with a GP here that is willing to work with us and an overseas doctor and he also advised us to get copies of all of our files and consolidate them - we're also going to keep a copy with him. We have been in contact with another clinic in CZ and are going to do a consultation with them over the phone once with our current file. I hope we can do that before Easter. We're looking at possibly going abroad in August/Septemnber for treatment if DH's results from next week's tests don't come back looking good.